Pages

Tuesday 8 March 2011

Taste of Spice by Sarah A.

My Special Place: Taste Of Spice


The colours, so exciting, burst into millions of other colours, pleasing my eyes.  I search the room for the brightest colour, and one colour really catches my eye; the bronzed gold of the cup, which contains some mint sauce. The waiter, who’s wearing a plain jet black blazer and pearl white shirt, and matching black tie, with shiny black shoes, takes the big bronzed cup, and pours out some delightful mint sauce. I remember… me sitting on the chair, begging for food, while my dad was working, and he brings out this special golden cup, and my eyes widen, and I scream ’YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!” He slowly pours it onto my place, and also throws a couple of pieces of chicken. Yum yum… I wonder, is it that same cup?

The mahogany tables are rounded and smooth. The tables are finely decorated with a variety of things; flowers which lay in their wavy glass vases, salt and pepper shakers that rattle and make the slightest of noises. The mahogany chairs are cushioned with a matching coloured pillow. The wooden floor is sturdy and jumping on it won’t even chip the paint in any way.

The scent of the food is so amazing, it lures me in, so tasty. The chicken, freshly cooked, its mind-boggling aroma invades my nostrils, overtaking my body. The smell of new naan bread, it’s as fragile as an egg but it’s still so AMAZING. Just one whiff of the ginger mango chutney and it feels  as if you’re floating away, to another world full of chutney. The sensational lamb curry is brought out onto a small curved marble bowl, and everyone stops for a second. They smell, and they sigh in happiness. Not everything smells so sensational. The fish smells sour and salty.

Ring ring! What’s that noise? It’s the noise of the main ashen telephone. People are calling in, and they just can’t wait till the food they specially ordered arrives.
“Hello, Taste of Spice, how may we help you today?” says the waiter, who’s listing all the meals that are being ordered. Jalfrezi, Pasanda, Methi rice, King Prawn Moricha, and Onion Bhajis. “Yes, yes, mhmm, yep we’ll have it all ready in… about 20 minutes. Thanks, bye.”

As I walk past the counter, the till pokes me, and I yelp. I walk down the downy mahogany wooden stairs, into the place where all the wonders happen. The kitchen. I walk past the refrigerator, and the cold makes me shiver oh so slightly. Then the clay oven’s heat warms me, and I feel relaxed again. I walk into the storage room, where lots of powder accidentally falls into my hair, and pepper that makes me sneeze, again and again and again. Atchoo! I see all different types of spices, herbs and 6 whole bags of 20kg cooking flour and oil.

There are a series of things to do, eat and play! I sit at the table, eating fervently and waiting, waiting, waiting. I sing along to the music that plays in the background, and dance along to it. I can skip, I can dance, and I can do whatever I wish.

It’s my special place!
 By Sarah A.

No comments:

Post a Comment