Pages

Monday 21 March 2011

Cym Ivy by Ellis

My special place in Cym Ivy

 My brother and I hurtle down the hill, wind flying past us, Betsy running up the hill to greet us. The little white house sits at the bottom, its mint green door wide open. Grouse Cottage. Above our heads is the sign of welcome. My best friend Oshen is rolling on the floor with Betsy playfully biting his ear. Betsy is a spotted spaniel about the size of a ruler. Dreddy crashes through the door standing tall and proud, wagging his tail. He leaps on top of me forcing me to the floor with Oshen, licking my face and drenching me in dog slobber. Every time he does this I have to have a shower but I love it any way. First thing we do (after I’ve had shower) is take a long walk to Rhossilli Down with Oshen and Betsy.
   The ice cold wind brushes past our faces making us shiver. The waves far down below us crash on the golden seashore. We hear the petrifying shriek of the children in their swimming costumes as they dip their feet in the freezing water. My special place is like the top of Mount Everest looking over the whole of the World.
Out on the Worm’s Head we see tourists scrambling over the rocks trying to make it back; before the tide rises. We smell the sea salt and we hear the whispers carried through the wind. We taste the salt on our tongues like the sea is rising up to greet us. As the sun goes down great big shadows spread over the seashore like a growing monster taking over. The sun beams down its blinding rays to us and the sheep, giving me a goodbye present as it slowly slips away.
We will have to go soon, it’s starting to get dark and our parents will be worrying but the top of Rhossili Down is so magical we can’t leave. Just five more minutes we tell ourselves. An hour later my phone buzzes with a text: WHERE ARE YOU! MUM  We check the time. We should be home by now. We start to walk back with the sun glimmering on my back; it’s almost begging us to stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment