Pages

Tuesday 8 March 2011

Esja's Living Room

My Living Room
       Although it may not seem like a lot, my house is the best place in London because of the tranquillity it radiates when I am there.
       Our living room is a colourful place where cultures from all over the world are combined in a single room: the three great fabric posters of Buddha and Ganesh, the two Chinese masks, the miniature statues of colourful little Buddhas, the Japanese man and woman in Kimonos and the incense from India and Thailand.
       The simple cream couch is covered in warm, woolly blankets from China, and our kitchen ceiling is filled with the flags that are hung in the Himalayas. The bright pink rug stands in contrast to the pale wooden floor, and the soft light that shines from the two standing lamps lends our living room a relaxing feel.
       Behind our couch there are two French Windows that open up into a little courtyard. Of course, in London the sun doesn’t shine a lot, so we don’t really use it. When you step outside and you look up you can see the sky right above you, with a few bushes waving slightly in the gentle breeze.
       Considering it is a living room, there aren’t a lot of smells as there would be outside. But there is that very subtle smell of incense burning and candles of different smells: rose, green apple, tropical fruits, blueberry, vanilla & lime, Jack Frost, cupcake and so many more that I can’t even remember.
       Again, it’s not like I can’t hear anything, it’s just that’s it’s a living room and the sounds are limited; the cars honking outside, the upstairs neighbours watching ‘Friends’ or ‘Two And A Half Men’, the builders shouting and the people on the street.
        The cool wooden flooring under my bare feet feels comforting after a long day and the softness of my favourite pillow behind my back warms me.
        This is my special place, and although I’ve only lived here two years, this is my house, on my street, and the memories I have are timeless. 
By Esja
                                                                                                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment