Pages

Wednesday 16 March 2011

Lower Largo, Scotland by Sylvia

Lower Largo, Scotland
by Sylvia
          My special place is the house in Scotland where we go on holiday most summers. It’s in Lower Largo, a small village near Glasgow and the house is called the Cardy Net House. The house has a balcony from which you can look at the sea without anything blocking it. You can just go and stand out on the balcony and listen to the calm swaying of the waves while reading a book. It’s calming to just go out there in the afternoon after lunch and just sit out there while everyone else has a nap or goes out to the shops.
     
 When everyone gets back from going out or wakes up from a nap we all go back into our energetic mood. The children go out to the beach to catch crabs or go on the trampoline. And the adults sit down on the sofas with a drink and talk or start making dinner. When it’s almost time for supper we’re called into the house. Just before, we go to wash our hands and put the crabs in the back of the house in a bucket or go to wash our feet because the sea and the sand gets into our Wellies.
 The house has around seven bedrooms! It’s a fantastic holiday home for families. The living room, kitchen and dining room are all joined together for a great family atmosphere. It wasn’t just my family who were there it was our friends, a family of seven!
            I hear all of the other children and the screaming as they jump really high, the small toddler, Ellie, crying and laughing all of a sudden as she gets her turn for jumping. I hear the adults laughing occasionally as a few jokes are made that only they would understand. I hear a loud shout for dinner and the footsteps of excitement on the stones. Ellie is screaming for someone to take her off the trampoline as she has nothing on her feet. One of us sighs and runs back for her. Then there are screeches of chairs as the plates of food are laid out In front of us. The knives and forks are scratched across the plates, and some more thumping of feet takes the children back to their rooms to play.
            I smell a pretty, flowery scent and a change of smell as I enter the house. I go into my room and a clean and welcoming smell greets me. I take my shoes off and go onto the balcony where a fresh sea scent awaits and it makes me feel calm and relaxed. I go back inside and doze and the smell transforms again into a warm smell and a lavender perfume that I spray onto my pillow to help me get to sleep.
I wake up to the baby, James, crying as he wants his breakfast and the toddler’s footsteps as she runs across the room.
            I see everyone running in one by one as they are woken up by the baby. They come in and have their breakfast and run back in their rooms again and have a shower, soon everyone comes out again with wet hair. The sun looks beautiful as it shines on the house. All of the children put on their Wellies and take some fishing nets and buckets and run off to the beach. You can see what they’re up to from the balcony and as they catch a crab they shout out “Mum!” and scream with happiness. They then start running with their buckets and fishing nets.
            I taste fresh minty air outside as the wind blows in my face and waves my hair. I taste food being prepared in the kitchen and everyone crowds around occasionally to see when it will be ready, as we wait a parent comes up with the idea to rush us off to swimming pool before the food’s ready. We all gather our things and zoom off in the car. As we get there all of the smaller children become thrilled. We line up in the queue and are let to run wild in the changing rooms. I immediately taste the chlorine and rubber from the floats and rubber obstacle course. We get changed in five seconds flat because we want to spend the maximum time in the pool. We have a few goes on the slide and scream with excitement. We finally get home and get fed and relax for the rest of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment